Thursday 17 September 2009

No X, Please.

When traveling to a new place, some will worried that they have additional unwanted company – ghost. Personally, I heard many these so call tips that we can do to avoid bumping into these “sui” (bad omen in Cantonese) thingy.

Before I go into the core subject of this blog, let me clarify a term - “X”. Here it means the ghost/ spirit/ soul or any other unknown similar subject to ghost.

HOTEL
One of the most talked about subject about traveling and ghost encounter is in the hotel / any accommodation type where we spend the night. What are the common believes? And what are the “do” and “don’t”?

I have encountered situation where single female traveling and the make sure the room they book is a single bedroom with only 1 bed. Why? They said if there is any additional bed vacant, you might seem inviting companionship. Double bed is always worse than the twin bed situation, as the X might just sleep beside you.

There is also another common believes among the Malaysian Chinese that the last room in the roll is always not clean (meaning contain X(s)). So beware next time you check in the both extreme corner rooms. ^-^

Do’s
1. Knock or ring the doll bell trice before you enter the room for the first time. When you check in an unoccupied room and before you stepping in for the first time, you may want to consider knocking on the door or ringing on the door bell trice. Then, you may put your key in and open the door. The reason is to inform those X who might be having vacation in the same room that you are coming to the room and spending your night(s) here.

2. Well, some people just feel ain’t secure and courteous enough just informing them that you are coming in and staying here. They will open the door and stand at the side for awhile, and they will say “jie meh” (meaning excuse me in Cantonese) before entering the premise. And I must tell you I hate traveling with such superstitious person. It always gives me a goose bump when they do so. It seems like you are really waiting for the X to come out from the room. And telling them excuse me please, because I have paid for the room, so I’m spending my night here.

3. There are also people who tell me that I shouldn’t left my shoe at the bedside nicely when I go to sleep at a hotel. Here’s the answer why you should not. If you left your shoe nicely placed bedside your bed, when the X wandering around after you slept and sees your nice shoes lying there. They are tempted to wear you shoes and wander around in your shoes. What happened if the X really wore your shoes? Aiyo, easy la… you’ll get bad luck! I don’t want bad luck, so I do practice this one- making one of my shoe flip facing down, so that none can wear my shoes. You can do anything that you think they can’t wear your shoe without rearranging your shoe will just do the trick. I know it sounds silly and doesn’t make any sense, yet, I did it every time I go travel. Oh… Please stop laughing at me la.

4. If you go into a room and found that there is mirror facing the bed(s). Take a cloth / bath towel/ anything to cover the mirror before you go to bed. The rationale behind? Hehe... I’m not too sure. Anyone knows the reason, please let me know. The only thing I know is that in Feng Shui perspective, no mirror should face to bed. It is consider bad and will make a person less energetic and less confident.

Don’t
1. If you found that the room you check in has a Bible or Quran open at a certain page. Please do not close or move the Bible/ Quran. I’m being told that there’s a reason why the Bible / Quran is open at a certain page. It serves the function of guarding the traveler from the unwanted company.


2. Don’t sing or play “Wo deng zhe ni hui la” 我等着你回來 (I’m waiting for you to come back) a Mandarin oldies. I don’t think this has to do with any superstitious believes. Instead, it is because quite some years ago, there was a famous Chinese horror movie that relate playing this song and the appearance of the ghost. Haha…

Having fun reading the silly practice and believes about the X while traveling? I have another part which I gonna share in my coming blog. No X in forest please. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment